Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sojourn in Burgundy, France

More than a few years ago, I travelled to France with a small group of South Carolina artists for the sole purpose of spending about a month painting in the French countryside.  My companion from Hilton Head Island was Irene, but we met up in Paris with 7 others from various areas around the state and 2 friends of friends from Wisconsin.  Then, we connected with a group of French artists we joined forces with in Burgundy.

That trip would ultimately become one that I frequently wish I could experience one more time.  Prior to that, I had always considered art to be a solitary pursuit; after, I longed for the camaraderie of kindred spirits.



French Farm Cart at Uschi's House
Copyright © 2015, Scotti Vaccaro
from Tours de France,
sketchbook journal entry dated 7/12/04


France can be rainy quite often, so we found ways to cope with a rainy day here and there, although we lucked into quite a bit of sunshine.  On this particular day, we sought refuge at another artist's home near the foothills of the Morvan mountains.  The farm cart is an antique hay wagon that Uschi had outside her house.  She has recently informed me that it finally fell apart and is no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment