Thursday, April 23, 2015

Le Jardin de Mme. Widemann


Madame Widemann's Garden
Copyright © 2015, Scotti Vaccaro
from Tours de France,
sketchbook journal entry dated 7/13/04


One of the nicest things about painting in France is the sort of opportunities that arise.  It seems that all of France is in love with art and artists.

Compare:  Every time I enter Quebec, the border guards ask me my occupation.  If I say "artist" they are quick to say, "Are you aware that it is against the law to produce, sell or cause to be sold any form of artwork in Quebec?"  In France, if you tell the guard that you are an artist and that you have come to paint, he or she will practically hug you.  "Bonne chance!  Enjoy your painting!  I hope you have perfect weather!"

Madame Widemann is an example of the sort of opportunity that I am describing.  When she discovered that a troupe of American artists were visiting her little village in Burgundy, she was very insistent that we spend a morning painting behind her home in her garden.  By French standards, her house was huge and really rather ancient.  The buckle in the roof that I painted is there in reality.  The French are also masters of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I don't have any idea of how long that buckled section has been there but it adds a certain character to the building, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment