Saturday, April 25, 2015

Apremont

The gardens of Apremont were quite some distance away from our tiny village in Burgundy; we left very early and took what seemed to be hours in a little minivan.  We went though Nevers and across the Loire River and finally arrived at a botanical garden.

When I first arrived, I wasn't too enthused.  Yes, it was lovely and there were some nice views, but I tend to favor man-made structures --architecture, bridges, sculptures, fountains and that sort of thing over a simple landscape.  There was a Japanese style arched bridge over a stream, but my attitude was, "Why would I paint a Japanese bridge in France?"




Botanical Garden, Apremont
Copyright © 2015, Scotti Vaccaro
from Tours de France,
sketchbook journal entry dated 7/15/04

So I left our little group to find something more to my liking and settled for the caretaker's cottage, instead.  Certain things show up in my paintings again and again.  I love repeating angles such as the repeat in the stairway wall and the roofline.  And yes, there's that mysterious dark doorway, this time balanced by a white door.

We had a lovely do-it-yourself picnic lunch from a few loaves of crusty baguettes and assorted meats, cheese and condiments plus of course a few hearty jugs of Burgundy that we brought along. No, I am not kidding!  We literally had jugs of some of the finest Burgundy wine I have ever had and we purchased it for a few euros apiece at the convenience store across the street from our little hotel.  The old saying is true:  They keep the best wine for themselves.

After our lunch break, we decided to do an afternoon session.  I wandered off in search of another subject, but nothing captured my interest.  Finally, I spotted some roses beginning to bloom.  Please note that I had to "borrow" a bloom here and a bud there to paint this.  No one part of the rose bush contained all of the parts.



Capa Magna Rose, Apremont, France
Copyright © 2015, Scotti Vaccaro
from Tours de France,
sketchbook journal entry dated 7/15/04

Finally, today is my birthday!  I received a dozen red and white roses from my husband, so it is only fitting that my post today would include a rose!

No comments:

Post a Comment