Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Marché Jean-Talon


Copyright © 2012, Scotti Vaccaro
from Mon Journal de Montréal
sketchbook journal entry dated 2/20/12


I love to venture to several particular places in Montréal. I enjoy the Old City, Complexe Desjardins and Atwater Market. But of all of the places I go when I am there, possibly my most favorite places are Marché Jean-Talon and an Italian grocery called Milano.

Marché Jean-Talon is in a class by itself, though.

Anyone who knows me can tell you that I am a country girl at heart. One of the things I enjoy is the look, smell and feel of vegetables that have just been brought in from the field. I love the whole idea of fresh, wholesome crops just harvested -- the more dirt still clinging to the root vegetable, the happier I am! So, I can usually tell you where the nearest farmer's market is located. When I was in France, I loved market day in the village where I was staying.

It may not be France -- no live bunnies hopping in cages waiting to become dinner and no chickens waiting for the same fate -- Marché Jean Talon banned on-site butchering in the 1960's. But in the fresh fruits and vegetables category, as well as herb plants and garden flowers in season, Jean-Talon is A+.

“You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.” -- Robin Williams

2 comments:

  1. Marché Jean Talon, this is the most exciting place to be in Montreal
    if you are a fresh fruits and vegetables lover. Scotti
    can tell you how magical this place is. For me, the first time
    I was told after asking her, "Hi Honey, where are you?" and the answer
    was "I'm at Marché Jean Talon!", I almost had a heart attack asking
    myself how the hell she got there!!! Of course she made fun of me
    for being so concerned about her being there all by herself, and I told her not
    to move and wait for me. I don't know how long it took me to get there
    but it seems to me that I got there in seconds. For her it was all very funny and I was just happy to find her safe and sound.

    If you are ever in Montreal, you need to see this place if you like fresh fruits and vegetables

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milano - Scotti's favorite grocery store in Montreal. Her choice is just perfect. Exotic, and wide variety at the same time, when she enters this place it's like she is in her own world. A fantasy for the eyes, and your palate will water just from the aroma of the fresh produce displayed there. This is enough to make you say, "I cant wait for dinner." For me, I spy on every move she makes, and it's a delight for my eyes to see the ways she walks through those aisles, picking the produce to create her... plat de resistance.


    Cheers to you Scotti for a fine choice, when in Montreal

    ReplyDelete